Monday 17 February 2014

Shades On! With Paula Martin


Throughout February I am having a number of special peeps join me for some warm winter sunshine. All my guests will be answering four simple questions. So slip on those shades and settle down to meet today's fabby guest, Paula Martin.





Bikini or swimsuit?

These days, definitely a swimsuit, and preferably one with a firm tummy panel! I used to wear a bikini when I was younger, but alas, I am not as slim as I used to be.


Share a memory from your childhood

As we’re by the pool, I’ll tell you about the time I took the son of one of my mother’s friends to the swimming baths for the first time. He was three years younger than me, about nine at the time. I waited for him by the entrance to the boys’ changing rooms, which was opposite where the pool water was about five feet deep. When he came out, he ran straight past me and jumped in! Of course I had to jump in after him, and drag him, coughing and choking, down to the shallow end. His mother and mine were up in the gallery above the pool and saw it all happening, but did I get any praise for saving his life (which, on reflection, I probably did)? Nope, I got told off for letting him jump in where it was too deep for him! Needless to say, I never took him to the swimming baths again. I sometimes wonder if he remembers the day he nearly drowned!


Favourite summer drink and why?

I’m very boring really, because a tall glass of diet coke with lots of ice will suit me fine. But maybe you could add a wee splash of Bacardi?


Poolside or beach for soaking up the sun rays and favourite place?



I love the beach, especially where you can hear the waves breaking on the shore. There’s a small bay in Cyprus (part way between Limassol and Paphos) where I could lie all day listening to that gentle sound, which is so peaceful and almost hypnotic.




‘Irish Inheritance’
English actress Jenna Sutton and American artist Guy Sinclair first meet when they jointly inherit a house on the west coast of Ireland. Curious about their unknown benefactress and why they are considered as ‘family’, they discover some surprising links to the original owners of the house.
With the help of local descendants, they unravel an intriguing tale of a nineteenth century love affair. At the same time, their mutual attraction grows, even though they each have personal reasons for not wanting any romantic involvement at this point in their lives.
Problems arise when a local property agent appears to have her own agenda concerning the house. Other events pull them back to their separate lives in London and America, and friction builds between them over their decision about the house and its contents.
Will their Irish inheritance eventually drive them apart — or bring them together?



Paula's Links:




There is another fab peep joining us again tomorrow, so please pop by…. Thanks!


16 comments:

Paula Martin said...

It's lovely to be enjoying the sunshine with you today, Pauline - and escaping from a grey and gloomy UK. Many thanks for inviting me to be your guest!

Unknown said...

So jealous of you sitting there in the sunshine. At least you've reminded us what it looks like! A lovely post.
Carol

Ana Morgan said...

Mediterranean beaches are the best! So is a good book.

Paula Martin said...

Carol, I'm exercising all my memory cells to remember what it's actually like to be sitting in warm sunshine (with no rain or gales!)

Paula Martin said...

Any beach sounds good to me right now, Ana!

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Paula, so pleased to have you here and soaking up the rays, even if they are only virtual!x

Pauline Barclay said...

Hi Unknown, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, have a fabby day :)

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Ana, you are soooooo right! Thanks for visiting :)

Rose Anderson said...

Enjoyed the post, Paula. I'd love some sunshine here. We have another 4-6 inches of snow coming today. Ugh.

Best luck.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Love the sound of your book, Paula - and I'm sure it's as good as all your others!

Pauline Barclay said...

Hi Rose your weather sounds terrible. Keep warm and safe and thanks for popping over :)

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Rosemary, thanks a million for popping over, I think Paula is enjoying the sun!

Paula Martin said...

Thanks, Rose. I don't envy you your snow. Roll on, spring!

Paula Martin said...

Many thanks, Rosemary :-)

Debra St. John said...

Hi Paula,

I grew up with a pool in my backyard, so that's generally my swimming preference of choice, but I do so love the sound of the waves lapping at the shore.

Paula Martin said...

Its a long time since I swam in the sea, Debra, but I love the sound of it too.